" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Weekend on the peninsula





I am working nights presently - monitoring one minks´ activity and recording its´ location every 15mins during a 6 hour period. The particular mink I follow has a tendency to be very active at night and inactive during the daylight hours. This means on a lovely, calm, sunny day I can relax in one spot and enjoy the autumn sun (or in bad weather, freeze in the rain!).... but he makes me dash around like crazy at night!

The weather recently has been glorious. I had the weekend off and camped near Búðir, comprising an extinct volcano and lava field of several square kilometres (apparently the lava is riddled with leprechans....). I then hiked up in hills towards the mighty Snæfellsjökull glacier. This glacier is the setting for the famous 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth', written in 1864 by Jules Verne. I have yet to read the book, but apparently there's a route from Iceland to Italy via this glacier - funky.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All your pictures show lovely sunshine. Is this typical of Iceland?

Helen Jewell said...

Yes if you work for the tourist board.

We have had some great weather recently, but I look forward to windy, wet weather and 3 hours of daylight (max.) in December.

(I do not work on commission from the Icelandic Tourist Board)

Anonymous said...

Don't you think it's about time for another entry in your blog?