" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I brave Reykjavik

After discussion with others and perusing a few blogs more sophisticated than my own I have attempted to get with the times. So, this post introduces 'The Flickr' (Flicka, Flick-... whatever the hell it is). I´m struggling to get it to look fancy but we shall see! Of course, those new to this blog will discover it in this most modern and dynamic form anyway...

There are some beautiful blogs out in cyberspace. In contrast, my blog is not very artful, or even very up-to-date, but hey, I’m not too concerned. It started as a source of pics to share with the folk back home whilst I was on my overseas trips. It will likely not evolve much past this! I haven’t any fancy laptop, and don’t enthuse about being in the office out of hours: I'm afraid this is as good as it is gonna get.

Excuses/defence over, I was in Reykjavik last weekend, for a pre-xmas, present-driven trip to the concrete jungle. T'was my first urban adventure since I´ve been here, and the contrast with rural Iceland is a big slap in the face. But it was great, as I needed a bit of a break from the mink (....the darkness, the cold, etc.). I stayed with Annie Rhiannon, who is a blog-maestro in my opinion, and a friendly Welsh lass to-boot, who gave me a lift when I was hitching here on first arrival... As I staggered into her house she immediately handed me a beer and got a bath of Icelandic dimensions going for me. This was followed by a (very unIcelandic) curry, (very Icelandic) Glögg (spiced/mulled wine) and a party til 5am with some sort of clubbing experience at around 3am. Not sure about my 'country mouse' stamina for northern latitude night clubs heaving in the wee hours, but the trip out of the country was a great escape for me. It was all good. I didn’t get any decent photos as the light is pretty dim these days (and weather not great this w'end).

















Lastly... but not at all leastly....I was also - finally - ice climbing last weekend (before the partying, I should add). After a while of looking for like-minded enthusiasts in Iceland since I’ve been here, I reveled in sharing the great and glorious Icelandic outdoors with a German called Bernd (who had responded to my ad. in the city bouldering wall). Though I made a roooight royal mess of this exquisitely beautiful waterfall, and I’ve slightly knackered up my knee, it was worth the pain! This day out was at a spot called Hvalfjörður, which is where the 198m Glymur waterfall is found: Iceland’s highest.




3 comments:

Northerngale said...

Thank you very much!
I admire Iceland's nature, culture, and people. It's a real treat to read an outsiders impression of the place.
Season's Greetings!

Anonymous said...

Good to have you over this weekend, Country Mouse. And congrats on the Flickr!

Helen Jewell said...

Thank you Gislí. Gleðileg Jól