" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Walk in the countryside

When I was a child, I yearned for a dog of my own. Friends had dogs, there were dogs in every park in Bristol, we went on great family walks out of the city every weekend (or so it seemed!). In short, I wanted a dog and it was on every Christmas list - every year!

People who know me from that period know that on walks in the countryside I would 'find' dogs to walk (better than my sister, who actually 'found' a tame duck and brought it home - I kid you not!).  I was never happier than with some dog we had picked up at a pub where the landlord had said I could walk their dog and bring it back afterwards! It was always difficult for Mum and Dad at the end of those days, I feel sure. 

Anyhow, here I am now, in my element - 240 of the darn things to exercise!  

We have snow again now, but yesterday was picture perfect. Here are Rocky and Rambo (two 4-month old pups) and Grey (a bit older, but still one big puppy).  We were on a walk before my shift started at 13h.  

Nice.

(... and, although I hate to admit it, perhaps Mum and Dad were right: the city is no place for a dog).


No comments: