" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Time lapse of the sun departing...November '14


When the sun decides to leave you at sea-level, you have to work harder to find it - here is a photo-interval 'diary' of my journey up to Caravarri, to search for the sun ONE MORE TIME before the dark period started.  It was a very early start from home (I think I had to wake up 4 a.m. to be able to be out the door in good time to be on my skis by 7 a.m.).  I had Taiga the husky, on loan from a friend, to accompany me.  Photos here are mostly at 30 minute intervals, but I snuck in a few extras also!

It was a truly memorable, beautiful trip - nothing like the sun's rays on ones face when you won't be seeing it again for a further 2 months. 









My timing was remarkably accurate... 
Due South and do you see the small red glow in the clouds there? :)



Indisputable sun-rays!



















The sky to the North growing pinker and pinker...
It was one of those summit-days when you can hear a pin drop... 





Lucky Taiga, sharing the sun with me.  I think she was content :) 






Yes, definitely!

Can you see that?  THAT is my shadow.  No sun means no shadows.  Therefore the sun departing is also a celebration of shadows and colour.  It really is all a bit 'pagan', to celebrate the sun's departure but I think it is a really nice focus to have.  Losing the light becomes all about having the light for a few precious more minutes.  I think people really SEE the sun at such a time!  














A lovely cold mist started to envelope the valley just as I was returning to tree-line
 (glad it didn't happen earlier in the day! ;))





No comments: