" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ice is Nice

Hopefully this link won´t expire: some photos of Iceland´s ice a few weeks back. I wasn´t on this trip, but out with the Icelandic Alpine Club on the same day in an area close-by Reykjavik (Esja). It was a perfect bluesky day where I was too. These photos give you an impression of ice quality over here when conditions are in nick.

http://picasaweb.google.com/roberthalldorsson/UndirEyjafjLlum

(Too bad I didn´t take any snaps of my own on the trip I was on...[not wanting to 'act the tourist' too much... ha ha]. I will try to find someone who did and add my own photos to this posting, rather than poach someone elses!). Mind you, don´t expect my photos to show such steep, impressive stuff! We had fun top-roping and that was good enough for me. For me, it was simply just great to be out.

Sadly, the snow has all but gone now after a thaw these past few days - in just 24h the snowy streets in town were all clear... (sigh... that Gulf Stream....).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate
You've got some stunning pics on your blog. I had a look at the ice pics too, conditions slightly fatter than scotland!
Not sure about the ear muffs, shorts, thermals and gaiters combination though!
jane

Helen Jewell said...

hi mate. good to hear from you.

But ha! this is high fashion field gear over here I´ll have you know! (at least my clothes were on the right way round for a change...)

I think the thermals/shorts/gaiters combo is the Kiwi influence coming over on me... maybe I ought to stop that up here in the North?!..?

as for the earmuffs - integral to my work and kept my ears freezing off at times! v. impt.

cheers