" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Thursday, May 27, 2010

289 Days Of Solitude


The hut.

It's over.

I left the cabin on the lake on Tuesday, and came to Tromsø. Dovre off to friends for safekeeping; Boxes duly packed and distributed between whoever would take them - a very deserved thank you those who did! Invaluable friend Ole Johann helped with the final box delivery to the forest road. 400m of forest tracks to the roadside over 'not-yet-melted snow' (icey after recent rain) was challenging to most of us who bore boxes to the parking place... The forest was just reminding me that it has the edge over me, or anyone else!

(I guess moving out is difficult, and maybe that's why I stayed beyond the original 'for autumn' spell that I first proposed to the hut owner...)

9 months later...

In Tromsø, flight to Longyearbyen today, onward to Ny Ålesund on Monday.

Life is a challenge. Boxes'n'all. My coming season in the Arctic will be a needed tonic.

Meanwhile: Barry White is helping me pack and weigh my final bags - those ones that are coming with me. No field season is complete without his vibes...

....bring on the summer!

No comments: