" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Monday, December 08, 2008

Nyt hus

Through the last posts you probably guessed I'd moved from Tromsø, and yes, I have: here's a shot of my new base, in Heggelia, Bardufoss, (Malselv), about 200k from Tromso, Southbound and a bit inland.

I've started work these past weeks as a social worker at a refugee transit centre, for refugees seeking asylum. As my shifts are mostly at night this leaves day time free for snow and all else.  It's a busy town, despite it's small size, as there is a military training base here, so plenty of planes, helicopters, tanks.... But it's a great location with mountains surrounding us, and a quick climb up into the woods behind the house leads a pretty nice 'backyard' playground (I guess that's why the military like it too).



I like it here and the work so far, and we shall see where it takes me.  The centre where I work is newly opened so I'm meeting a lot of new faces (staff and refugees are all new).  I have to admit, I feel pretty sorry for people arriving in Norway the first time under very hard circumstances from hot destinations coming straight up North (it was -25C the other day).  No-one seems to quite understand I want to be here because of the snow, but then again, summer will be a tonic for sun-lovers. I hope most of these folks are able to stay and reap the benefits of experiencing the sunnier side of North Norway.  They look incredulous when I say if they stay they will curse the sun later for not being able to sleep! ;)

No comments: