" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Friday, December 05, 2008

Senja sights


Well, there is nothing like a weekend of good ice-approaches to get you warmed up for winter!  I managed to squish into a car of keen climbers ('Approachers') for a weekend away on the Stunningly Scenic Senja island.

But ha! The daylight fades faster than lambs can shake tails.... and so.... we had a good weekend of Some Mighty Approaches To Routes (!).... well, the ice wasn't really in nick anyway, I am unfit, my 'ice-head' needs polishing (a good 'ice-head' gives you power in arms and calves, and a great enthusiasm for ascents in the dark), etc., etc.......

So, here's a Senja Snapshot (I will stop the S thing now)

ps. I am being pointed out 'Ben Nevis' of Senja in the shot above - apparently there a fair few of these (see below)

Hmmm. Looking for routes... (reminds me of scoping for Ice in Iceland with Yvonne - same technique: see ice, stop car, grab binoculars, and not necessarily in that order ;))

See, I told you it was scenic...



Hmmm. More ice?  Maybe??

Ha! Yes!.....but not enough!

Axel and I tried this line, on the left...




See: ice climbing!! (....2 screws used while I took pics and looked at the nice icey views, and then the ice before him turned to snow...)


But hey! There's always the big discussions after the big approaches....

No comments: