" ...though we travel the world to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us, or we find it not "
Emerson (1803-1882)

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Searching for the unfindable...


I must add, I have been very into finding capercaillie lekking sites this year, to the extent that a few weeks back I donned snowshoes and trudged up to the woods, looking and listening, slowly and surely.  It would be a dream to find a lekking site, and sit out under a pine tree and have a listen to the mating calls and watch their fancy displaying.  The 'lek' site is where the males all hang out together, calling and strutting their stuff, trying to attract females.  Of course, I found bird poo, I found possible feeding trees, but did I find birds! 

(No)

But I had a lovely time looking - these photos are the result of two days searching (and not finding...).  In science there are always positive results from negative results: so it was actually a positive negative, one could well say (to console oneself :))

(and a week after my first visit we did return, to sleep out under the old pines and the open sky to hear for birds: no capercaillie but which was a joy in itself!)

VISIT ONE
(Searching for trees and poo)







AND

VISIT TWO

(when we return to try to listen for birds - and fail ;))



 Plenty of open water in the woods (this was only one week after the first visit)




(they call it 'skiing on the edge' (edge of spring, that is ;))




No comments: